New Zealand Graduates
The information here provides an overview of the registration requirements and processes for New Zealand Graduates; please familiarise yourself with the following documents:
Registered Health Practitioners: Dietitian – this provides an overview of the legal framework for registration and practising dietetics in New Zealand.
Information for New Zealand Graduating Students – this contains important information about the process of registration for those who have graduated from an accredited educational institution dietetic programme in New Zealand.
English Language Requirements – If English is not your first language you must provide evidence of fitness for registration by demonstrating the required level of language proficiency.
Whatever your career path within the dietetics and nutrition fields it is important that you are practising legally. Please take time to read these documents to familiarise yourself with the legal framework for health practitioners in New Zealand and the processes the Board has to ensure this framework is adhered to.
If you have any questions about registration and practising, don’t hesitate to contact the Board.
Practising as a Dietitian in New Zealand
There are two requirements to practise as a Dietitian in New Zealand:
- You must register with the Dietitians Board – usually you will do this only once in your career.
- You must hold an Annual Practising Certificate, which must be renewed in March each year.
Qualification Requirements for Registration
You can register as a Dietitian in New Zealand if you have:
- Masters of Dietetics from the University of Otago
- Master of Science (Nutrition and Dietetics) from Massey University
- Master of Health Sciences in Nutrition and Dietetics from the University of Auckland
Process for Registration
You can apply for registration anytime after you have handed in your thesis.
To Register you need to submit an application to the Board:
- The application form can be found on the Fees and Forms page. Please print to complete the form and scan it along with all supporting documentation. Email them to firstname.lastname@example.org. For big files, please email the link to the cloud storage such as Google Drive, OneDrive, iCloud, Dropbox etc.
- A criminal record check is also required, apply online here. A report will be sent to you, please email this directly to the Board with your application.
- Your reference must be emailed to the Board directly from your referee.
- The Board cannot complete your application for registration until we have confirmation from your educational institution that you have successfully completed your course.
- Submitting your application form early enables the Board to begin processing your preliminary information.
- Once your application for registration is processed you will start to receive regular newsletters and other important notices from the Board.
- A hard copy Registration Certificate is provided to you by post once registered and this is included in the Registration fee.
Working while you are in the Process of Registering/Obtaining an APC
If you are working (including part-time, voluntarily, or in other unpaid activity) before or during your registration and APC application process and that work is in any dietetic/nutrition/food-related environment you must take care to ensure you work in accordance with the regulatory framework.
Please refer to the Information for New Zealand Graduating Students and Practising Dietetics Legally in NZ documents for clarity on this.