Registration as a Dietitian – New Zealand Graduates

The information here provides an overview of the registration requirements and processes; you must also read the following documents:

Whatever your career path within the dietetics and nutrition fields it is important you are practising legally. Please take time to read both the above documents to familiarise yourself with the legal framework for health practitioners in New Zealand and the processes the Board has to ensure this framework is adhered to. If you have any questions about registration and practising, don’t hesitate to contact the Board by email or ‘phone.

Practising as a Dietitian in New Zealand

There are two steps to practising as a Dietitian in New Zealand:

  1. You must register with the Dietitians Board – usually you will do this only once in your career
  2. You must hold and Annual Practising Certificate. You will need to renew this every year.

Qualification requirements for registration

You can register as a Dietitian in New Zealand if you have:

  • Masters of Dietetics from the University of Otago
  • Master of Science (Nutrition and Dietetics) Massey University
  • Master of Health Sciences in Nutrition and Dietetics from University of Auckland

Process for registration

To register you need to apply to the Board. The application form is HERE and you will also need to request a criminal record check, the correct form is HERE. The registration application form currently needs to be submitted as a hard copy and supporting documentation needs to be certified copies of originals (please do not send original copies). Your reference must be sent to the Board directly from your referee, again as a hard copy.

You can apply to register anytime after you have handed in your thesis. The Board can’t complete your application for registration until we have confirmation that you have successfully completed your course but by submitting your application form early we will have been able to process preliminary information. You will also start to receive the Board’s regular newsletter and other important notices.

Working while you are in the process of registering / obtaining an APC

If you are working (including part time, voluntarily or other unpaid activity) before or during the registration and APC application process and that work is in any dietetic / nutrition / food related environment you must take care to ensure you work in accordance with the regulatory framework – check back to the Information for New Zealand Graduating Students and Practising legally in New Zealand.